Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions Trying AutoX for the First (Real) Time

Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions Trying AutoX for the First (Real) Time

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone!

My name is Jeff and I’m coming out of Longmont, CO. Been eyeballing autocross for a while and am ready to shred some rubber! I’m hoping to attend the session April 29th, given it’s an autocross school. Did it one time in Utah as part of the Ford Octane Academy and had a blast! I’ll be bringing my ’18 Focus ST and see how she does.

I did have a couple questions though: Do I need to buy my own helmet or will there be any available to borrow for the heat? Also what sort of prep do I need to do? Obviously register, clean out the car, tighten anything that needs to be tightened, but I’m fuzzy on the level of effort involved with classing your car/printing numbers/etc. Really just want to make sure I’m ready to hit the ground revving!

Cheers,

Jeff

Gary KrascheGary Krasche
    Participant

I’m new to Solo, this year, but will tell you what I’ve learned.  Too bad you missed the Apr 29th training, but it’s not all that complex.  Following the course can be tricky, but there are patterns to the cone layouts.   There is a “method to the madness”, as they say.  You’ll figure it out, a bit of “Learn by Doing”.  You won’t have the only Focus.  The little compacts don’t do badly.  They have “loaner helmets”.  You have to put a Number and Class designation on both sides of your car;  tape will work, or flat magnetic strips (…Hobby Lobby) will get you started.  Generally, you want tire pressure a little higher than you’d run on the street.   For which Class to run,  you should call or e-mail someone, see the  Contact List.  There is some Solo information on the SCCA website as well as rmsolo, so get as much info as you can from those places.  Also, to find the CA&SP location near Watkins, follow the rmsolo directions, not your phone’s map-app.

The people are friendly, and you won’t be bored!  Gary

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.