Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Novice Help / Getting Started SCCA Classing Guide / Summary

Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Novice Help / Getting Started SCCA Classing Guide / Summary

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I posted this classing guide on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, but I’m also sharing here for people that aren’t on Facebook.

With all of our recent newcomers, I’ve taken a stab at condensing the SCCA rulebook to help people with classing. This isn’t meant to be an exhaustive list, and my summary doesn’t include every modification allowed or some of the gritty details like updating/backdating that you may hear about people discuss, but specifics like that are generally rare unless intentionally building a car for an SCCA class. The full rulebook can be found here to really dig into specifics for each class if you’re interested. https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
    While the entire rulebook is daunting, vehicle classing specifically refers to sections 13-20 which covers a few classes I don’t cover in my summary here. The rulebook has the Appendix A to figure out which subclass your car fits into it once you’ve found which ruleset your modifications put you in. One thing is, due to safety reasons, vehicles that are taller than the track width aren’t allowed to compete, so that’s something to make note of if you have a crossover or something larger.
    Beyond finding a class that your car is most competitive in, even if your modifications push you up several classes, it’s still helpful to find the most appropriate class with how we score our series points (that’s a separate post). All else fails, the XS and CAM rules allow a wide range of modifications. Unfortunately, the only classes that allow interior deletes are Prepared and XU. Also, street and street touring don’t allow full cat deletes, so keep that in mind.
    While the PPIRTA ruleset and SCCA rules don’t align, to give people a rough idea of where their car might land, here is a rough idea based on cars that I’ve seen at track attack:
    SS: STS, STR, HS, ES, SSM
    FB: STS, STH, HS, SMF
    FA: STH, STU, SMF, BS, DS, GS, XB
    AB: GS, DS, BS, STH, STU, XA, SM
    AA: DS, BS, STU, XA, SM
    RB: STS, STR, STX, ES, CS, SSM
    RA: STR, STX, STU, SST, CS, BS, AS, FS, SSM, SM, CAM
    LT: STU, FS, AS, BS, CAM, XB, XA, SM
    GT: STU, CAM, FS, SST, XA, AS, SS, XU
    The street prepared ruleset is very specific and is meant to attract builders to bridge the gap between street touring and street modified, so it’s very unlikely although possible that a modified car would fit in there. Things like spherical bushings on an otherwise minimally modified car would fit here.
    There may be mistakes, so if anyone sees any please feel free to share. Everyone in the group is very welcoming, so if this guide is just as confusing as the full fledged rulebook, feel free to tell me and ask for help with classing and someone is sure to help out.

One minor correction is that they aren’t really “slick tire” classes, just classes that allow DOT rated tires with less than 200TW ratings.

We look forward to seeing you at RMSolo events!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.