Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions New to CO and new to organized performance driving

Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions New to CO and new to organized performance driving

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My name is Rob and I am new to CO from SoCal. I have been here for a little more than three months.

I have a 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE that is a street car and was purchased for a fun mountain road car on the weekends. It is stock in regards to engine and suspension. I am interested in HPDE events mainly for the fun and to improve my skills as a driver. Also, I would like to learn more about car control and the limits of my car in a safer environment than public mountain roads. Although I am guessing that once I get started, the competitive bug will probably bite me.

I was introduced to RMSOLO by someone on the Camaro6 forum. I haven’t figured out if spectators are allowed at your events right now but I hope to spectate the Jan 24 event so I can ask questions, get a feel for the environment and event, figure out supplies and gear to bring, etc. I know things are fairly simple but I am the type that likes to prepare/overprepare and don’t like to try things “cold”.

My wife and I moved here for my job so we are also hoping to meet some like minded people to start building some relationships with.

Thanks everyone, have a great day.

Calvin StaubCalvin Staub
    Participant

Welcome!

Highly recommend signing up anyway as you’ll probably be itching after seeing it. Winter events are great for what you’re talking about. I always bring a hat, mask, water, snacks/lunch, comfy shoes, windbreaker or jacket since its January. That covers the basics and keeps me reasonably content. Hope to see you there!

Rob FrigerioRob Frigerio
    Participant

Hi Calvin,

You already got me itching! lol

I downloaded the 2021 SCCA Solo Rule Book and am starting to go through it, mainly trying to make sure my car and helmet passes tech.

The thing I am unsure of right now is numbers/letters.

At what point will I be assigned a number?

How can I be sure of the class I would run? I am worried that I will think I should run a certain class but then discover on the day of the event that I was wrong.

Is all of this even important for non-competitive winter series?

Am I overthinking it all?

Thanks for all of your input!!!

Rob FrigerioRob Frigerio
    Participant

Upon further reading, looks like my car falls into B Street so now it’s down to numbers and tech.

Matt LeicesterMatt Leicester
    Participant

You will pick a number when you register.  People with permanent numbers will have their numbers blacked out of the registration list, so if a number you like is available, you can use it.  If you are entering by yourself, choose a number from 1-99.  If you have a codriver, one driver picks from 1-99, the second driver should use 100 + the first driver number.  So multiple drivers will be 13 and 113, that sort of thing.

In a normal year, tech is done while your car is in grid, in the run group before you run.  In COVID times, you officially tech your own car and fill out a checklist that is available at check in.  The big items are that the battery is very well secured, the tires do not have cord showing, the pedals are firm, and nothing loose has been left in the car.  There are tech people that will come by and have a look and pick up your checklist, and can answer questions as well.

Even during the summer championship series, we are pretty much all out for fun, nobody bites, and we will all help.  In winter, it gets more relaxed and helpful from there, so come out and have a good time!  We do require preregistration, you need to register online before I think 10:00 AM the Thursday before each event, then you check in at the site.  Your credit card will not be charged when you register, usually the charges go in the Monday after each event, so if something happens and you cannot make the event, you are not charged.

Autocross in SCCA Land, at least in RMSolo, is a volunteer event, so you will need to work one group.  Working course is relatively easy and gets you a great view of what is happening.  If you have a physical condition that would make working course unsafe, there are other positions that can fulfill the work requirement as well, but course is a great way to be introduced to autocross in general.

Matt Leicester

Rob FrigerioRob Frigerio
    Participant

Thanks for all the info!

I am registered – car #95.

Super excited!

Ken HammackKen Hammack

Hi Rob!  Good to see you made it over here from the Camaro Forum (I’m the someone).  I’ll try to find you at the next event.  I’m #66 in CAM-C (still stock on run flats).  I should be easy to find since the rest of my class was running Mustangs.

Rob FrigerioRob Frigerio
    Participant

Hi Ken!!

Glad you found me here and thanks again for the info over on Camaro6. I will definitely keep my eye out for you at the event.

Rob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.