Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions Have a sporty car again

Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions Have a sporty car again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, Back almost 20 years ago or so I had a 98 V6 Camaro Auto and a friend convinced me to partake in 2 solo2 races and I had a blast.  My car was essentially stock and I was stuck at the top of 1st gear and bottom of 2nd the entire time but it was a kick in the pants.  Fast forward to early 2019 and I finally got myself a sports car again, this time a 1999 Mustang GT auto and I’ve been putting adult money into this one for the last couple years.  Today I decided to start looking into getting back in solo at some point down the road and wanted to find out what class my car currently falls into so I can plan any future mods around staying in that class.  Granted I got the car just for fun and mountain drives but getting into any class would be nice and going to the track.  I scrolled through the rule book and I think that I will end up in street prepared, probably the slowest one there but the end of this year I’m putting a supercharger on it.  The saleen mustang had this same engine and supercharger, in fact the intake manifold is modeled off of the saleen 2v manifold, so I don’t know if that changes anything.  Anyways here is what I have done and will be doing

Suspension: lowering spring’s; shocks strut’s; caster camber plates, bump steer, tubular k-member, tubular lower control arms with tall ball joints,

Wheel’s/Tires: SVE off the shelf 18×9/10 wheels with 245 front and 285 rear width

Engine: Whipple super charger with intercooler and supporting mods such as fuel pump, injectors maf etc.  Stock transmission but will be putting shorter rear gears in.  Exhaust is all stock with a muffler delete, a piece of pipe instead of a muffler.  It’s no louder than an aftermarket cat-back.

Other than that the only changes I have made are cosmetic.  No roll cage or seats replaced.

The only potential upgrade that I need to check on first is the addition of a panhard rod onto my 4-link rear end, not sure if that’s allowed but it supposedly makes these cars handle far better.

Anyways thank you for your time, Some day I’ll get out there again.

Matt LeicesterMatt Leicester
    Participant

Ooh, with a 1999, you just make it into CAM-T.  Classic American Muscle – Traditional.  The first rule is to have ridiculous amounts of fun.  Then there are some other rules that back up the first rule – has to be American, front engine, rear wheel drive, and 200 Treadwear or higher tires.  That’s pretty close to it.  The rules, all two pages or something of them, are in the “Supplemental Classes” section of the rulebook.

The K member kicks you out of Street Prepared, which you did not want to run anyway because the SP classes allow R compound DOT tires.  Which of themselves are stupid amounts of fun, but you cannot drive to the event on them, they do not last all that long, and they can be crazy expensive.  There are plenty of 200 TW tires that give enough grip to provide massive fun, and CAM is just the happening place to be if you have a pony car!

Dang near any suspension is allowed, the Panhard rod is nowhere near the limit of the rules, and yes, you want one with 285 rear tires.

Matt Leicester

Robert StanleyRobert Stanley

Second everything Matt noted.  CAM classes are really fun and you can do just about anything you want to the car…..it is the classic….”Run what you Brung”…..  great cars and great people in CAM.  Hope to see you out soon!

Bob Stanley

2016 GT350

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.