Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions Chicago Region T&S transplant wants to try Solo

Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Introductions Chicago Region T&S transplant wants to try Solo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m Gary,  and recently moved here from Chicago area where I worked T & S with the Road racing types, but I’ve never raced.  I have a street driven ’91 Mustang GT and would like to try driving Solo.  I’ll be your next Slowest Driver!  I have a little power, but with street tires, average brakes and no experience, I’m not a threat.  Just want to try something new and have some fun.  Work-wise, I could chase cones, learn your Timing & Scoring system, or whatever.  My fear, right now, is losing track of which cone is next and which side to be on.  I live in Aurora, so I’m close to the space & air airfield at Watkins.  I’ve read the Solo info on the Scca website, but if there is more info out there, or a good person to talk to, please let me know.  I intend to be at the event at end of April.  Thanks, Gary

Matt LeicesterMatt Leicester
    Participant

Ooooh, come out and play! There will plenty of people to walk the course with and give some pointers, and hopefully you take a few rides and / or have someone ride with you until you get comfortable.  You will not be alone in autocrossing a Mustang…

Matt Leicester

Chris WhitneyChris Whitney
    Participant

If you can make it, I’d recommend attending the SpeedTrain school on April 29th. It’s a great way to get used to reading cone courses and is intended to be a way for novices to get experience and coaching before jumping into the usual season events, which start the next day on April 30th. Both are at Air & Space Port so are an easier drive from Aurora than PPIR.

Gary KrascheGary Krasche
    Participant

Thanks for the info!  I’m planning to be at the April 29  training & 30th event.   Gary

Gary KrascheGary Krasche
    Participant

I’m now registered for  April 29th & 30th event.  I didn’t notice any “Instruction” time in the schedule, so is this a … “learn by doing” event?  Also, assuming I need a helmet, will there be loaner helmets there?  Being a real novice at this,  I picked an easy number to put on the car.   Is there an abbreviation for CAMT, for the side of the car?  Is it possible to bring a “visitor/assistant” along, or is that another registration fee?  I didn’t see any recent posts in the “event” forum,  I was hoping to get some information there.   This probably sounds like one complaint after another, sorry.   I’m actually not a grouch.  Gary  🙂

Ken HammackKen Hammack

I’m now registered for  April 29th & 30th event.  I didn’t notice any “Instruction” time in the schedule, so is this a … “learn by doing” event?  Also, assuming I need a helmet, will there be loaner helmets there?  Being a real novice at this,  I picked an easy number to put on the car.   Is there an abbreviation for CAMT, for the side of the car?  Is it possible to bring a “visitor/assistant” along, or is that another registration fee?  I didn’t see any recent posts in the “event” forum,  I was hoping to get some information there.   This probably sounds like one complaint after another, sorry.   I’m actually not a grouch.  Gary

Hi Gary, welcome to Autocross.

The 29th event will be structured and will have instructors who will ride with you and will tell you all of their secrets.  The event on the 30th is an actual autocross where you can use what you learned on the 29th.  More experienced people can ride with you and you can ride with them at this event.  There are loaner helmets.  CAMT stands for Classic American Muscle Traditional, I think, if not its close, so there is no abbreviation for it.  Only drivers need to pay, visitor/assistant can attend for free.  Just plan to have fun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.