Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Novice Help / Getting Started Blurry classification question – Lotus Europa

Welcome to Rocky Mountain Solo FORUMS Novice Help / Getting Started Blurry classification question – Lotus Europa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I’m exploring some options for recreational and/or competitive driving options for my car and am very curious about the potential for Solo events.

I’ve shied away from SCCA in the past based on what I’ve heard second-hand regarding by car’s eligibility – so instead of making assumptions, I decided to dig and find out for sure how current rules may apply.

I have a 1974 Lotus Europa TC Special, street car, but with a few modifications that I’m concerned might make it ineligible.   I “think” it fits CS class, but it’s been bored .030 over and has dry-sump lubrication, a rear sway bar, and non-factory front a-arms (but factory geometry).  Wheels are 14×6 (+1″ which I see as legal).  I’d be interested to learn that if it is ineligible, whether with a few additional modifications it could fit a different class (an ‘up’ class..?).. As I said, still plowing through…

Any good resources or feedback would be appreciated at this point,

Thanks much!

Bill

Jeffrey HugoJeffrey Hugo

So, there are a few answers here.  I’ll try to go through all of them.

So, according to the rule book, the car would be up in the Street Prepared tier.  The non-factory a-arms and dry-sump put you there from my reading.  The engine bore depends on what is considered spec for the car, I didn’t really dig in there.  Also, at National events, its older than 30 years, so it is not valid in the Street tier.  It would run SSP.

So, SSP is one option.

The next option is XS.  eXtreme Street is a supplemental class that is pretty new.  You can find the rules here – https://www.scca.com/downloads/48556-xtreme-street-xs-rules-2020/download  I think your car, as described, fits well there.

The third option is just run CS anyways.  Locally, I don’t think anyone will care its not strictly legal.  I sure won’t.  Nothing you’ve described sounds like its going to provide a significant advantage.  The more folks in my class, the better.

You should come out, have fun, and have a chat with folks about where you are at, and what you want to do.

Matt LeicesterMatt Leicester
    Participant

You can download the entire rule book at SCCA.com.  In the Street classes you can change one sway bar, front or rear, so you are good there.  It used to be you could over bore up to 0.047″, the current rules state “To the manufacturer’s first overbore, not to exceed 0.020”.  When the Lotus was current, you were allowed 0.047″, and since older Street category cars are no longer legal for National level events, I say (without any authority whatsoever, mind you) that you can be grandfathered in with the bore.  As for the dry sump, there is significant advantage in running a dry sump oil system on a 47 year old British car, namely that you are far less likely to litter the site with irreplaceable internal engine parts.  Which also falls under the “Comfort and Convenience” of your fellow competitors who would otherwise have to clean up and maybe run in leftover oil.  The same reasoning would cover the A arms if they are of stock geometry, modern tires exert loads unforeseen in the 1970’s and I am all for the safety of suspension bits which can withstand the stress.  The Street Prepared rules a few years ago even started allowing reliability mods which had been taboo since the dawn of time, at some point safety counts for a great deal, and keeping the wheels attached to your car seems much safer than not.

Run CS, have fun, and be prepared to clean drool spots off your car!

Matt Leicester

Jeffrey HugoJeffrey Hugo

Matt, I disagree that the dry sump and A-arms are covered under comfort and convenience, but that’s probably an offline discussion.  It would really only matter at a national event.  Bill should still come out and just run.

Matt LeicesterMatt Leicester
    Participant

Oh, I am quite sure that officially the A arms and dry sump are not legal under Comfort and Convenience, but like you, Jeff, I say come out and enjoy the car.  Since the Europa is not able to run National level events in Street anyway, I tend to be willing to look the other way for items that keep older, really cool cars able to run locally and not sustain damage in the process!

I do not think the A arms and dry sump are even legal in Heritage Classic Street, which allows some very wide latitude in what is a street preparation level – pretty much older Street Prepared rules minus the R compound tires but allowing internal engine modifications.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.